Norwich University of the Arts is once again opening its doors as part of national Heritage Open Days 2014. Heritage Open Days celebrate England’s fantastic architecture and culture by offering free access to places that are usually closed to the public. The University will be offering tours of its recently refurbished Guntons atrium, East Garth photography studio, and Media Lab.
NUA’s campus is situated in the heart of the medieval quarter of Norwich and our East Garth photography studio, Media Lab and Library occupy some of the City’s most important sites of historical and architectural interest. The tour will commence at our recently refurbished Guntons building, the site of the former Guntons and Havers warehouse founded in 1879. The new atrium has been designed to allow floor to ceiling natural daylight whilst protecting the fabric of the building and the exterior façade has been retained.
The East Garth, a Grade I listed former medieval friary, is one of the most complete examples of its kind in the country. In 2011, after undergoing an extensive refurbishment and working closely with English Heritage was refurbished into our Photography studio housing up-to-date digital darkroom and extensive studio facilities.
The tour will end at the Media Lab, a former Victorian Monastery, which housed the University Library up until 2010 when it reopened as the Media Lab after a £1.5m refurbishment providing industry standard equipment and software for media students. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the history of our campus and to see how these buildings are used by students at the University today. Tours are running at 11am, 1pm and 3pm on both Friday 12th September and Saturday 13th September 2014. Tours are free and there is no need to book in advance, just turn up on the day.
Meet at Guntons entrance, St Georges Street, Norwich, five minutes prior to the tour starting. For more information on Heritage Open Days, please visit:
– Monastery Media Lab Building
– East Garth Building
– The former Guntons and Havers Building, 1879