Your Degree Show is not only the culmination of three/four years of hard work and academic study but an opportunity to showcase your creative talent to a wide audience and is the first step in your professional career. Start preparing now for what is going to be one of the most exciting weeks of your life.
Carl Rowe, BA (Hons) Fine Art, Course Leader shares his top tips for making a successful Degree Show:
1. Make sure your work is fully installed, that you are happy with your final selection of work and it is presented in the best way possible. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different layouts. If in doubt about a piece, take it out, no-one will ever know.
2. If your work is digital, requires any sound, bespoke lighting or has any other special elements, check (and re-check) that it is working properly. Leave clear and concise instructions on how to turn your work on and off again.
3. Be with your work. You do not want to miss a potential sale or opportunity because you were in the bar or chatting to a friend.
4. Have professional business cards (or other promotional take-aways) available in your space and be ready to hand them out at any opportunity. Include an image of your work on the back as a reminder of your work.
Also, include your website or other online URLs where visitors can find out more about you. Set up a professional email address, Twitter and Instagram accounts to use for business purposes and keep these for the foreseeable future. Don’t use your NUA student email address as this will expire six months after graduation. Don’t forget to keep your supply of promotional materials topped up throughout the show!
5. Network, network, network! Engage and interact with visitors who attend the show and be around as much as possible. No-one can sell your work as well as you.
6. If you are on the rota to invigilate your room, remember to turn up and be on time (if there are no invigilators, a room may be closed and no-one will see your work during this time).
7. Promote your show on social media. If you use Twitter or Instagram, tag or mention @NorwichUniArts and your course address to your posts to increase your audience. Use the hashtag #NUAdegreeshows so we can see and repost your content. (See the guide to promoting your show on social media).
8. Document your show and take good photos. You can use these for future job applications/submissions/your portfolio etc.
9. Make sure you follow up any enquiries, comments or sales. If you have sold your work, make sure it is professionally wrapped and ready for collection by the buyer as arranged.
10. Enjoy it! You have worked extremely hard for this moment and it will be something you talk about for the rest of your life. Make it a week to remember.
27 June – 5 July
The Degree Shows are an annual event which provide an opportunity for the public to see the work of 600 new graduates. Works on display will include paintings and illustrations, fashion garments and textile patterns, architectural drawings and models, sculptures, photographs, short films and animations, portfolios of graphic design work and video game demos. Work will be on sale throughout the exhibition with multiples, prints and editions available to buy in the shop, ‘Unexpected Item in the Bagging Area’.
If you have any queries relating to NUA Blogs, please contact Marketing and Recruitment: