Tom Crisp is a Lecturer in BA (Hons) Fashion who is responsible for the coordinating the Year One experience and providing specialist input at all three levels of the course. Tom’s teaching is informed by his background working at the top level of the menswear industry and this is underpinned by teaching experience at the London College of Fashion on the design and business courses. Tom finds developments in the emerging fashion technology ecosystem exciting and has a particular interest in denim.
I kick-started my fashion career by gaining a First Class Honours degree from Ravensbourne College in Fashion Menswear. My final collection won the best men’s collection award at Graduate Fashion Week, awarded by GQ and Kim Jones. I went on to complete MA Fashion Menswear at the Royal College of Art where I won competitions with Umbro and IFF. I am still to date the only menswear-focused recipient of the full British Fashion Council (BFC) MA scholarship award chosen by a leading industry panel including Caroline Rush (BFC), Tim Blanks (BOF) and Jeremy Langmead (Mr Porter) amongst others.
Since graduating my professional background has been quite varied. I have worked at the highest level of the fashion industry as a menswear designer for Givenchy, Allsaints and Viktor&Rolf where I gained incredible experience in design and creative operational procedures. I moved to work as a menswear editor for intelligence services agency WGSN which gave me a strong focus on trends, consumer profiling and fashion writing.
My proudest achievement was to win a pitch to design the menswear outfits for the Victory ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympic Games which combined a love of British myths, industrial heritage and the London 2012 Olympic branding.
- 2015: Styling; Stylist for the BA (Hons) Fashion Design course video shown at the LCF Fashion Business Summit
- 2015: Judging; Part of an industry panel to choose LCF BA (Hons) fashion business graduates work to be shown at the LCF Fashion Business Summit.
- 2014: Judging; Part of an industry panel to choose the best Kingston University BA (Hons) Fashion graduates to show at Graduate Fashion Week.
- 2014: London Collections; Mens A/W 14 – Own label capsule collection presented in the LC:M exhibition space
- 2013: The Olympics Drawn – An exhibition of drawings from the creatives behind the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- 2013: London Collections; Mens S/S 14 – Own label capsule collection presented in the LC:M exhibition space
- 2013: Commissions; Remakes and redesigns of MA collection pieces for private clients.
- 2012: Latitude Festival: Part of a group fashion show presented across a pond.
- 2012: Magazine; MA work featured in GQ, Dazed and Confused, Rollercoaster, I-D.
- 2012: Olympics exhibition – Showcasing the creative work and processes behind the 2012 Olympic Games.
- 2010: Style Salvage article; Explaining about the process I went through to come to my final BA collection.
- 2010: Vogue Online article: Masterful Crisp about the MA scholarship.
- 2010: GQ online article – My style.
- 2010: Magazine; BA work featured in GQ, Esquire, I-D, Elle, Vogue, Vogue Online, Dazed and Confused, Another Man