Professor Suzie Hanna
I have been teaching in Higher Education for over two decades, specialising in the subject areas of animation and sound design. In this time I have developed international academic and industry networks, as well as maintaining my own creative practice. My current research includes diverse collaborations with other artists, performers and academics to create original films. This work is regularly selected for public screenings including international animation and literary festivals and conferences. I create innovative theatrical and site specific animation. I present papers at international symposia and industry seminars and write for academic journals and other publications. My focus is on creation of animation from documentary material, and the study of parallels in animation, poetry and sound design.
More of Suzie’s work is available on her website.
- 2020: The Hidden Meanings in Music Hall Lyrics in collaboration with writer, artist and musician Jude Cowan-Montague. Original animation commission by BBC Ideas
- 2020: Observations of the Sky based on the teenaged writing of Naturalist Ted Ellis, in collaboration with Dr Jude Cowan Montague for the Micro Kino at Raveningham Sculpture Trail. Directed and animated film
- 2019: Directed and animated The Blue from Heaven, based on the drawings and poetry of Stevie Smith, voiced by actress Glenda Jackson
- 2019: Water for Canaries in collaboration with Canadian poet Doyali Islam. Directed and animated poetry film
- 2018: Animarginalia in collaboration with Dr Sally Bayley, presented at Oxford Literary Festival and Going Places’ Battersea Arts Centre
- 2018: In other Motes, In other Myths – Emily Dickinson and the Responsive Body -Disruption, Interruption and Temporality at Oxford Literary Festival. VJ Animations and Live musical performance and workshops
- 2016: Known Unto God Commissioned animation, in collaboration with NZ Poet Bill Manhire, for Fierce Light Exhibition, Norfolk & Norwich Festival, 1418NOW.
- 2015: Music video I’ll Weave my Love a Garland commissioned by Hannah Sanders to accompany the release of her first album Charms Against Sorrow (Sungrazing Records)
- 2014: Animated Trailer for Finch J., The Black Widows, commissioned by The Solstice Press, USA
- 2013: ‘Proem’, Animated stencil film interpreting Hart Crane’s ‘Bridge’, created in collaboration with Dr Sally Bayley (Oxford University) and Tom Simmons (RCA)
- 2013: Spells: New and Selected Poems, Animated Online Book Trailer, commissioned by Wesleyan University Press
- 2013: Spells: New and Selected Poems Animated Online Book trailer, commissioned by Wesleyan University Press
- 2012: The Tinderbox Norwich Puppet Theatre – Theatrical Animated scenery creation- ACE funded commission
- 2011: Animated Contemporary Crib Projection – commissioned by Norwich Cathedral
- 2011: Man-Moth Merz – Animated film selected for Elizabeth Bishop Centenary – Canada
- 2010: Letter to the World – Animated film commissioned for the Emily Dickinson International Society Conference, Oxford University
- 2008: Boxing Day at Scrivelsby Folly – Animated film
- 2007: The Girl Who Would Be God- Animated film commissioned for Sylvia Plath 75th Symposium, Oxford University
- 2006: Christmas Eve at Scrivelsby Folly – Animated film
- 2001: The Lines – Animated Film
- 2000: Figured Bass – Animated Film- commissioned by First Take Films
- 1998: Paganini’s Dream – Animated Film – Arts Council funded
Conference Papers and Symposia
- 2019: ‘There Comes a Warning Like a Spy: improvised animation within live musical performance of Emily Dickinson’s folio and fragment poems’, Experimental and Expanded Animation Conference, UCA
- 2019: ‘Animating Poetry: Whose line is it Anyway? Creation and Critique of shared language in poetry animation’, Ecstatic Truth IV Symposium, Westminster University
- 2016: ‘In other Motes, In other Myths-Emily Dickinson and the Responsive Body – Disruption, Interruption and Temporality’, EDIS International Conference Cité Internationale Universitaire, Paris
- 2016: The Blue From Heaven -We All Have These Thoughts Sometimes- A conference on the work of Stevie Smith, Jesus College Oxford
- 2016: ‘Tripwire: War Wounds, Survival and Memory in the Twentieth Century’ Co-presented with Dr Alisa Miller for First World War Network: First World War Commemoration and Memory I Manchester IWM
- 2015: Animating Poetry: Research-led Creation Send & Receive: Poetry, Film & Technology in the 21st Century FACT Liverpool
- 2014: Keynote speaker at the opening of CICAF Animation Expo, Shenzhen China (Sino UK)
- 2014: ‘Proem’ selected for Laugharne Castle Poetry and Film Festival Wales, Filmpoem Festival, Antwerp, Belgium , Ottawa International Animation Festival, FLEXIFF Sydney Australia, Zebra Poetry Film Festival Berlin, Germany, Visible Verse Vancouver Canada, Norwich Sound and Vision Festival UK, Liberated Words Festival Bristol (awarded gold prize for sound and silver for editing) Ó Bhéal Poetry-Film Competition at IndieCork Film Festival, Eire.
- 2013: Panel Member and Presentation: ‘Representing Poetry through Animation and Sound Design’, Liberated Words Festival and Conference, Bristol
- 2012: The Girl who would be God and Letter to the World screened at Plath Symposium Indiana University
- 2012: ‘Letter to the World’ selected and screened at Zebra Poetry Film Festival Berlin
- 2012: ‘Looking for Kawaii in UK animation’ paper given at ‘Kawaii-the Supercute’ symposium at Sainsbury Centre for the Visual Arts
- 2011: ‘Walking Bird, Climbing Moth: Moving Image Capture in the poems of Emily Dickinson and Elizabeth Bishop’ paper given at American Imagetext Conference UEA
- 2011: Public Lecture ‘Poetry and Animation’ given as part of City Lecture Series, NUCA
- 2010: ‘Beyond the Dip of Bell’ paper given on the creation of a film about Emily Dickinson in collaboration with Dr Sally Bayley at Transatlantic Conference on American Studies (19th Century) Plymouth University
- 2010: ‘Letter to the World’ commissioned by Emily Dickinson International Society and presented at EDIS conference at Rothermere Institute Oxford.
- 2010: Public Lecture ‘Painting and Animation’ given to Norfolk Contemporary Artists’ Network
- 2009: ‘The collaborative creation of animated online micro-dramas ‘conference paper given at LIAA Animation Academy, Lucerne
- 2008: ‘Sound and Animation-strategies for collaboration’ paper given at FLIP Festival Animation Symposium, The Lighthouse, Wolverhampton
- 2008: ‘The Girl Who Would be God’ Talk and Screening given by invitation at John Hopkins University, Bologna, Italy
- 2008: Invited to be a member of Colloque Formation, representing UK animation education, to present a paper on Encounters 1001 project for e-magiciens Festival, Valenciennes, France.
- 2007: ‘Letter to the World’ commissioned and presented at Sylvia Plath 75th Anniversary Symposium Oxford University, including screenings at Oxford Playhouse and Rothermere Institute.
- 2006: “Shared Vocabularies-Composers and Animators’ Paper given at Narrative/Non-narrative/Anti-Narrative Conference, Bristol
- 2005: Women’s History Network conference Southampton, Paper given ‘Animal Land Where there are No People: Women Creativity and Publishing’
- 2004: ‘The Assimilation of the Actual’ Paper given at Techtrim and i10 industry event Colchester UK
- 2021: ‘Proem’, Brooklyn Bridge – Animating Poetry and Research-Led Creation‘ to The Poetics of Poetry Film, by Sarah Tremlett, Intellect Books, published May 2021 ISBN 9781789382686
- 2020: ‘Animating Poetry: Whose line is it Anyway? Creation and Critique of shared language in poetry animation’, International Journal of Film and Media Arts Vol.4 No.2 Truth of Matter
- 2016: ‘Afterword to Fierce Light : Poets respond to the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme’ Gatehouse Press ISBN 978-0-9934748-2-8
- 2014: ‘Turning Metaphor into Moving Images’, for English Review Magazine(November 2014)
- 2013: ‘Thinking Narratively, Metaphorically and Allegorically through Poetry, Animation and Sound’ in Journal of American Studies 2011 – 13: 47(04), with Sally Bayley (Oxford) and Tom Simmons (RCA)
- 2011: Contributed chapter for Representing Sylvia Plath edited by Dr Sally Bayley and Tracy Brain, published in September 2011 by Cambridge University Press
- 2008: Author ‘Composers and animators – the creation of interpretative and collaborative vocabularies’ Journal Of Media Practice, Vol 9 Issue 1, Intellect Books
- 2006: ‘The Lines’ is critically referenced and images from it printed in Paul Wells’ article, ‘Literary theory, Animation and the ‘Subjective Correlative’: Defining the Narrative World in Brit-Lit Animation’, published in Animated Worlds in 2006 Ed S Buchan, John Libbey Publishing.
- 2006: ‘Fundamentals of Animation’ AVA contributed substantial texts quoted by the author Paul Wells. Images from two of my films are used in this book as examples of mixed media and fine art animation practice.
Original Projects and Curation
- 2011: Curation of Wonderland a two week moving-image screen exhibition and related events in collaboration with Fusion Screen, Writers’ Centre Norwich, Norwich Castle Museum, the Forum Trust and NabJab Theatre.
- 2009: Curated exhibition Made to Measure in collaboration with BBC, featuring miniature work by international artists projected on ‘Fusion’ the largest public HD screen in Europe
- 2009: Curated Norfolk Poetry Week Exhibition for Fusion and managed live event with performances by six published and award-winning poets, musicians and a screening of poetry in animation.
- 2007-9: Encounters 1001, online collaboration with animation students from NUCA UK and AVA St Joost NL to create animated character encounters. Films and process formed an exhibition shown in both countries and the resulting films were screened at the Breda Film Festival and Playgrounds Festival Holland
- 2006-7: Programmed film screenings for the Norwich Fringe Festival
- 2006: Presentation with Martin Barber (BBC producer) ‘BBC/NSAD Animation Collaboration’ for ‘Creative Futures’ i10 event at UEA. Also wrote text on academic/business collaboration case study for i10 Creative Industries publication.
- Selected and presented two programmes of animations at Muse X film festival
- 2004-5: Consultant for development of Aladdin Media Animation Series ‘Faisal and Friends’
- 2004: Keyworks International Animation Consultant ‘The Wishfish’ animation and performance
- 2002: Contributed to Shooting Rhymes and Cutting Verses, British Council Touring Programme, including international presentation of the programme which featured poetry and short film
- 2000-2003: Selector and Curator for FAN Animation Festival screenings
- 2001: Led Sonimation a commissioned programme of six collaborative animated films, curated in partnership with Sonic Arts Network London and Digital Arts East Cambridge.
- 2001: Curated Animation Exhibition at the Norwich Gallery as part of FAN Festival, featuring work of Oskar Fischinger, Jeff Keen, Kayla Parker, Clive Walley and Len Lye.
- Bournemouth AIB BA(Hons) Animation
- Glamorgan University BA(Hons) Animation
- University of Creative Arts London MA Animation (Farnham)
- 2013: Arts and Humanities, La Trobe University, Australia.
- 2013: School of the Arts, Loughborough University
- 2014 – 2018: University of the Arts London – MA in Character Animation
- 2011 – 2014: Northumbria University/Taylor’s University Malaysia – BA(Hons) Graphic Communication Design and BA(Hons) Interactive Multimedia Design
- 2008 – 2011: UWE Bristol-MA Media (Animation) and BA (Hons) Animation
- 2006 – 2010: Northumbria University/Raffles Institute China – BA(Hons) Visual Communication and Multimedia Design
- 2003 – 2007: Ravensbourne College of Design and Media -BA(Hons) Animation and FdA Visual Communication
- 2003 – 2007: Arts Institute Bournemouth BA(Hons) Animation
- 2000 – 2004: Southampton Arts Institute BA(Hons) Animation
- Current: PhD Supervisor and Director of Studies
- 2018: Panel Member for the British Animation Awards
- 2017-19: Panel Member for the Student Kodak Commercial Awards
- 2016-19 Chair of NAHEMI Executive (Member since 2011)
- since 2011: Trustee of Norwich Puppet Theatre
- 2010-2015: Member of the AHRC Peer Review College
- since 1992: Member of ASIFA
View more of Suzie’s work on the NUA Repository