Professor Lynda Morris
In 2014 I curated John Wonnacott & John Lessore: The Life Room and the City at Norwich Castle Museum and NUA Gallery to celebrate the 170th anniversary of NUA’s founding in 1845. I worked closely with Wonnacott and Lessore at NUA from 1980 to 1985, and understood their work in the life room as an aspect of modernity. I also contributed an essay to the major exhibition of British Painting 1950-80 launching the LWL-Museum für Kunst und Kultur at the Westfälisches Landesmuseum Münster. Genuine Conceptualism 1969-1976 was organized by the Herbert Foundation Ghent, together with a collection of my writings on Conceptualism 1969-2014. I also wrote two new essays on the period for Frieze d/e and Texte zür Kunst in Germany.
In late 2014 I will give one of the keynote speeches at the Carl Andre Conference to mark his Retrospective Exhibition at DIA Beacon New York. A previous exhibition Dear Lynda…, commissioned by Matthew Higgs at White Columns New York 2011, explored the exhibitions I have curated since 1969 with a zine publication: this toured to Chelsea, Dundee, Norwich, Berlin and Birmingham throughout 2012-13. By the Rivers of Birminam: The photographs of Vanley Burke of the Jamaican Community in Handsworth since 1945, originally commissioned by MAC Birmingham, is also travelling to the University of Johannesburg in 2014 in 2014-15. An extended essay on Picasso and Radical Africa 1945-73 will also be published by MuZee in 2015 for an exhibition re-examinating the Royal Africa Museum Tervuren in Brussels; this includes material that was too extensive to be published in my major exhibition Picasso Peace and Freedom 1945-73 at Tate Liverpool, travelling to the Albertina Vienna and Louisiana Denmark in 201-11. The exhibition Documenting Cadere 1972-1978, originally shown at Modern Art Oxford, MuZee Belgium and Artists Space New York in 2012-13 wilI also travel to three museums in Romania in Summer 2015.
Finally, I am also currently preparing funding applications for the development of an International Conceptual Art Research Network to be based at NUA, in association (initially) with UAL Chelsea and the Slade School UCL, which in addition to connecting researchers working on Conceptual Art will work to create public access to a network of private archives in the UK and in Europe covering the period 1965 to 1980. The network will also include a series of seminar and conferences, and act as a focus for Phd students working on Conceptual Art, initially in Britain and Europe but eventually stretching to the United States and beyond.
- 2014-16: Funding applications for an International Conceptual Art Research Network based at NUA, with UAL Chelsea and Slade School UCL
- 2014-15: The Life Room and the City: John Wonnacott and John Lessore Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery and NUA
- 2014-15: Genuine Conceptualism 1967-73 Herbert Foundation Ghent Book and exhibition
- 2012-15: Documenting Cadere 1972-1978 exhibition and catalogue Oxford, Ostend, New York and Rumania (three venues).
- 2012-14: By the Rivers of Birminam: The photographs of Vanley Burke, Birmingham Luton South Africa exhibition and catalogue
- 2011-13: Dear Lynda…exhibition/zine publication New York, London, Dundee, Norwich, Berlin, Birmingham