Having worked as a fashion designer for almost 20 years, I have designed and led teams at luxury brands including Paul & Joe, Timothy Everest, Kent & Curwen and LVMH. I have dressed individuals such as Kevin Bacon, Jamiroquai and David Beckham and collaborated with external brands such as Holland Esquire, Bill Amberg, the British and Irish Lions rugby team and Harris Tweed. I am familiar with global manufacturing processes, having travelled widely for inspirational research, supplier liaison and product development.
Strengths in concept development, creative direction, product development and branding led me to set up my own brand in 2013. DOBSON, which I have shown at trade shows in London and Paris, has been met with critical acclaim in Fashion press and is sold in the UK, Europe and Japan. My own practice is led by a sustainable approach, supporting British manufacturing and using biodegradable materials. I am interested in exploring sustainability through further engagement with research.
Understanding the importance of maintaining a dialogue with fashion professionals regarding contemporary issues motivates my teaching. My aim as an educator is to prepare students to face the challenges and evolving landscape of the fashion industry with a mixture of creativity, experimental problem-solving, technical skills, confident communication and a solid understanding of their subject.
- August 2016 – MWB: ‘Last Orders with… Nina Dobson’ – full page interview
- October 2015 – MWB: ‘British Craftsmanship – Nine British talents… flying the flag for manufacturing on home turf’ – Interview with Nina Dobson, founder
- July 2015 – Selectism: ‘DOBSON perfect the over-shirt for Spring/Summer 2016’
- August 2014 – Drapers: ‘Best in Show – Key Directions… at hit show Jacket Required’
- July 2014 – Telegraph: ‘5 up-and-coming menswear brands you should know about’
- 2021 – Higher Education Academy – Associate Fellow
Top 10 for
by the Times and Sunday Times 2022
Top Two UK
by The Complete University Guide 2023
for Student Retention -
The Times and Sunday Times 2020