One of my current and evolving research areas focuses on the human interactions that coalesce within the aesthetic of their existence in the territories of design and craft found within Japanese culture – where the East meets the West. Interchange / やりとりis an inquiry into the proximities and ambiguity of culture; beauty and functionalism.
As a design writer I have had the opportunity to reflect and evaluate the processes of graphic design education. This has resulted in the authoring of a new series of imprints for AVA . The first book in the series, ‘Basics Graphic Design Series: Approach and Language’, was launched in October 2010, and is intended as an introduction and overview to Graphic Design as an area of study. More recently I have contributed to ‘Packaging the Brand: Exploring the Relationship Between Packaging Design and Brand Identity’.
As a designer, I continue to provide design/creative services for a range of clients in the UK, Japan and abroad. My creative practice clients include:
- The Black Dog, Ale House: brand & promotional collateral, UK
- Blue – Field: independent textile design label, Japan & UK
- Hanna fu: independent knitwear design label, Japan & UK
- Chocolcolatta North, textile and haberdashery outlet: brand & promotional collateral, Japan
- Marbout/ Hachett: Imprint, France
- Sunshine Smoothies: brand & promotional collateral, UK
Nigel Aono-Billson is a member of the Pattern and Chaos group of collaborative, interactive and networking designers, artists, theorists and innovators in education, all of whom are based at Norwich University of the Arts.
- 2011: Ambrose, G. (ed.) Harris P. (ed.) The Layout Book, 2nd Edition, AVA Switzerland. Aono-Billson. N. (ed.) p.(116 – 117) Found, Shared – The magazine photo work, catalogue/booklet. ISBN 978-2-940373-53-6
- 2011: Ambrose, G. (ed.) Harris P. (ed.) Packaging the Brand: Exploring the Relationship between Packaging Design and Brand Identity. AVA Switzerland. (Aono-Billson. N. (ed.) pp.(50 – 51, 92 – 93, 132 – 133, 178 – 179, 194 – 195) Student exercises.) ISBN 978-2-940411-41-2
- 2010: Ambrose, G. (ed.) Aono-Billson, N. (ed.) Basics Graphics Series: Approach and Language. AVA Switzerland. ISBN 978-2-940411-35-1
- 2009: University of Derby, Visual Communication Research Group – Observatory Publication: Holy Drinker: x3 works, inspired by the Smashing Pumpkins lyrics: “That’s The Way (My Love Is)” (ed.) Beige, Vermilion, Tangerine. University of Derby, Visual Communication Research Group – Observatory Publication
- 2006/2007: Brittain, D. (ed.) ‘Found, Shared – The magazine photo work,’ Righton Press. ISBN 1-900756-31-5
- 2004: ‘Error Text,’ Gerber, A (ed.) ‘ALL MESSED UP: UNPREDICTABLEGRAPHICS,’ Laurence King Publishing and in the USA by Harper Collins. ISBN 185669-390-2
- 2003: Carter Magazine Issue #4, pp. (7– 8, 9–10) Australia
- 2001: ‘Flash interface Design: Creating Tool palettes, (Biscuit website). ‘Ramirez, R, Shaw, O, (eds.) ‘Macromedia Flash: Super Samurai, ‘Macromedia Press/Peachpit Press (Flash interface Design: Creating Tool palettes) Biscuit Website, pp. (277– 286). Macromedia Press/Peachpit Press.
- ISBN 0-201-77144-6
- 2000: ‘Kansai Airport 06.01.2000, ‘Teal Triggs, Sian Cook, Katie Salen (eds.) ‘Zed.7: Public/Private,’ p.(20– 21) The Centre for Design Studies, Communication Arts and Design, Virginia, Commonwealth University. ISBN 097154-448-4
Journals and Articles
- 2000: Creative Review Magazine: FEED – Hanna afu & blue field: WORKSHOP A,
- 2009: Flux Magazine: Do you Believe? I believe in: “the rightto the truth.” Aono-Billson. N. (ed.) pp. (23). “I Believe in you, me & now.” John Walsh. Flux magazine, Issue 68, Spring 2009
- 2009: Design Observer: “Very wise words. As a seasoned Designer and Designer Educator I would
- suggest that students globally should read this Open Letter.” Aono-Billson, N. (ed.) An Open Letter to Design Students Everywhere by Jessica Helfand, Design Observer, http://designobserver.com/archives/entry.htmlid=39717.
- 2009: Creative Review Magazine: FEED – Hanna afu/blue field: Publicity materials – poster and invitation: The Pantiles, 22.06.09 – 28.06.09, 3f Sun Partner Build, 3 –19 Izumiya – Cho, Nihama – Shi, Japan. Created on 18 March 2009, http://www.creativereview.co.uk/feed/july-2009/06/hanaafublue-field-at-thepantiles-japan
- 1997: Foges, C, Ed D’Souza, Billson, N. Graphics International, Profiles, p. (17), Issue 47,
- September 1997.
- 1995: Curiouser and Curiouser, Design Week, October
- 1995: Curious name change, Design Week, 20 October
- 1995: Identity – Curious? Design Week, 3 November
- 2000: INTENSITIES – Site specific: digital/video/sound installation works, including webcast. Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, London (UNCOMPLETED).
- 1999: Open here: issue 0.01 ‘it doesn’t matter if its visual or it has content.’ Billson, N (ed.) Student produced: First in a proposed series of publications from the MA Communication Design, Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, London
- 1995: Graphic and promotional/publicity Collateral: FEED YOUR HEAD – New media conference on and the future of new media and the web, speakers included Sean Cubitt & Sadie Plant. The University of Derby/Design Research Centre, University of Derby, Derby
- 1994: Contributor: FIRST BOOK – Artists Book project, international Art Institute co-operative project,
- The Design Research Centre, University of Derby, Derby
- 1994: Contributor: DESIGNNET – Transnational Design project, work at a distance, The Design Research Centre, University of Derby, Derby
- 1993: ‘1993,’ Billson, N (ed.) Select works, Reclame 2, Unit publication, William De Kooning Academie,
- The Netherlands.
- 1993: ‘Smile,’ A series of collaborative Fax works, between designers and artists in UK and abroad
- 2011: Su nombre era la libertad (His name was liberty). A series of artworks that explore faith and the fragility of human beings, Artist‘s Open Houses, Walton House, Whitstable, Kent
- 2011: Su nombre era la libertad (His name was liberty). A series of artworks that explore faith and the fragility of human beings, Group Show, The Fish Slab gallery, Whitstable, Kent
- 2007: Found, Shared – The magazine photo work, photomontage/mural pieces. Photographers Gallery, London
- 2006: Found, Shared – The magazine photo work, photomontage/mural pieces. CUBE Gallery, Manchester
- 1998: Lunch and Meet – performance and installation event, presenting digitally, produced work. LCVA Gallery, Virginia, USA
Lectures, Talks and Seminars
- 2005: Here I am – Manchester School of Art & Design, Mancheter Metropolian University, Manchester
- 1999: Worts and All – Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, London
- 1999: The Practical Challenge – Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
- 1998: Mind your space – Longwood University, Virginia, USA
- 1997: Elements– University College Falmouth, Falmouth
- 1996: The Couch Trip – Ravensbourne College of Design Communication, London
- 1996: Fallin’a sleep – Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
External Committees and Boards:
- 2013: External Examiner – UCA Barking & Dagenham (FdA) Graphic Design Programme, Romford, Essex
- 2001/2002: External Examiner – BA (Hons) Multimedia Course, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool
Membership of Validation Approval panel:
- 2010: Validation panel member: BA (Hons) Digital Design suite – Graphic Design, Multimedia, Digital Design, Web Design
- 2013: Re–validation panel member: BA (Hons) Visual Arts, Canterbury College, Canterbury
- 2002: Course approval panel member: BA (Hons) Graphic Design Communication, Chelsea College of Arts, University of the Arts London