As Course Leader, Martin has overall responsibility for the content and delivery of the three graphics courses at NUA. He brings with him a passion for ideas and a strong focus on contemporary professional practice.
I have been involved in graphic design education for over 18 years. I am a passionate designer and design educator, believing that what matters above all else is a great idea executed appropriately and brilliantly. I have run my own graphic design practice for nearly 20 years focusing on branding, identity and print. My clients range from large, well known corporate organisations to small, independent businesses. During my years in teaching my students have won over 80 awards from all the major national and international design competitions. Equally, they have found full-time employment with some of the most high profile design studios in the UK and abroad.
Research and Practice
- 1995 – present: Commercial practice including branding and identity, packaging, annual reports, website design, advertising, exhibition design and various corporate communications.
- 2009: Lectured at conference, The International Entrepreneur, organised by University of Hertfordshire, Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CapeTown) and Ruth Prowse (CapeTown)
- 2007 & 2011: Lectured at the British Higher School of Art & Design (Moscow)
Memberships and Committees
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Education member of D&AD
- 2008: External Subject Specialist to the Periodic Review of BA (Hons) Graphic Design at De Montfort University
- 2013: External Subject Specialist to the Periodic Review of BA (Hons) BA (Hons) Graphic Communication at Bath Spa University;BA (Hons) Creative Industries: Graphic Design (top up) at Weston College; FdA Graphic Design at Weston College; FdA Digital Design: Interactive Design at City of Bath College
- 2013: Appointed External Examiner to BA (Hons) Graphic Design at the University of Derby
- 2013: Appointed External Examiner to BA (Hons) Visual Communication at Arts University Bournemouth
Graphic Communication student wins Nic Hughes Travel Prize 2019
Kirsty McKinlay wins the annual Nic Hughes Travel Prize
BA Graphic Communication student wins branding competition for National Centre for Writing
Evie Borthwick-Clarke's design was chosen to represent the global Cities of Literature gathering