Lindsey Chambers joined NUA in 2022 as Director of Fashion & Textiles.
Lindsey has 20 years of management and leadership in Higher Education. Her professional practice covers textile and embellishment for television and film for National geographic and Channel 5 series. Her teaching interests and passion are delivering hands on embellishment and stitch craftsmanship as well as engaging students in storytelling and provenance in their collections and personal practice.
She has worked extensively in widening participation and engaging young adults in creative-led workshops for social mobility and wellbeing.
My professional practice is anchored in hand-governed, drawing embellishment with use of specialist embroidery machinery. These techniques underpin my professional work; creating historical textiles for television and film. When not working on commissions, my interest in 18th and 19th century, female, botanical artists and their social and cultural mobility, offers constant creative nourishment for my design and material exploration.
I take a passionate approach to developing and leading projects supporting widening participation and wellbeing through the Arts. This community engagement and outreach work has allowed me to develop and deliver, large, complex projects with University and City stakeholders. I led the City of Culture 2021 funded project ‘The Coventry Sketchbook Project’. Disseminating 2021 sketchbooks across all wards created a ‘Visual Doomsday’ of life leading up to, and including, Coventry’s ‘City of Culture’ year. A visual legacy of Coventry’s identity and lived times across cultures, class and age, has been captured and witnessed through a variety of exhibitions including the AHRC funded ‘Being Human’ exhibition in 2021.
- November 2021 — The Being Human Festival Coventry
- 2019–2022 — The Coventry Sketchbook Project
- June 2020 — ‘Enslaved’ Mini-series. S L Jackson
- June 2019 — 3D Textile sculptures, Ancient Mysteries, Channel 5
- March 2017 — Black work textiles The last days of Lady Jane Grey , Channel 5
- March 2017 — Burial Shroud textiles for Ancient Mysteries, Channel 5
- September 2016 — Couture dog accessories for The secret life of Dogs, Channel 4
- August 2016 — Black-work textiles The last days of Mary Queen of Scots, Channel 5
Other academic activities
- 2022–Present — Swansea, External Examiner, Textiles and Surface design UWTSD
- February 2020 — Truro and Penwith College, Validation panel member, FdA Craft Design Makers /BA Craft and Design
- Nov 2019 — The Manchester School of Art, Validation panel member, MA/Msc/MFA Craft, Product and Textile provision
- 2018–2020 — Blackburn College, External examiner, BA Hons Fashion, Textile and Interiors top-up
- 2017–2020 — UEL, External examiner, Year 0 Art and Design, Extended BA Hons
- 2018 — Newcastle College University Centre, Validation panel member, FdA Printed and Constructed Textiles
- 2016–2020 — Blackpool College, External Examiner, BA Hons Fashion and Costume
- 2016 — University of Wales (Trinity Saint David), Panel member for Major Review and Validation of Design Studies, (Graphic Design and Textiles)
- 2011–2015 — London College of Fashion, External Examiner Cordwainers Footwear and Accessories HND/BA hon/Top up, Bespoke tailoring BA Hons
- 2013 — Bath Spa, Validation panel member, BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles subject periodic review
Top 10 for
by the Times and Sunday Times 2022
Top Two UK
by The Complete University Guide 2023
for Student Retention -
The Times and Sunday Times 2020