Ioannis Christopoulos, Lecturer BA (Hons) Interior Design at NUA is working with the Course Leader and students in building our new course. He studied Architecture at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki before completing his Master’s degree in Interior Design at the University of Central Lancashire. Ioannis also has a Master’s degree in Environmental Design & Engineering from University College London. From 2010 to 2016, Ioannis worked as a Senior Lecturer in Interior Design at AAS College, a franchise partner of University of Central Lancashire.
As an Interior Designer I have combined experience in practice, research and teaching. As a practitioner I have designed and collaborated on projects of different scales from residential to commercial spaces. I seek to create sustainable, innovative, functional and aesthetically pleasing interior spaces that improve people’s lives and experiences.
My main research theme investigates the needs of elderly regarding the design of interior spaces. Recent studies have shown that people prefer to age in their familiar environments, thus guiding me as a designer to provide a safe and functionally appropriate environment for ageing people. My aim is to design homes to be flexible, adaptable and able to facilitate our future needs. Housing is one of the fields where most changes will occur and in which we need to be as innovative as possible. The approach of “research through design” is believed to be the best way to handle a complex topic such as this. Possibilities that materialise in flexible architecture have to be explored. I am involved with looking at improving the life quality of elderly by satisfying their everyday needs. Ioannis’ work is available to view on his website.
Ioannis Christopoulos is a member of the Pattern and Chaos group of collaborative, interactive and networking designers, artists, theorists and innovators in education, all of whom are based at Norwich University of the Arts.
- 2014: Imagine Thessaloniki Forum – “Marketscape: Transforming Eleftherias Square”, organised by Byzantine Museum and Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece, (Invited Speaker)
- 2014: The Museum for Argo in Volos, Greece – Collaboration with o25 Architects on this competition
- 2014: Transform Eleftherias square – Participation on this national competition in Greece
- 2013: “Design Futures” Forum – “The Future of Architecture is Sustainable”, organised by AAS College, Thessaloniki, Greece, (Presenter – Discussant)
- 2013: “RU Creative?” Forum – “Architecture & Extroversion”, organised by “Creativity for Thessaloniki” – AAS College – DYNAMO, Thessaloniki, (Invited Speaker)
- 2012: “Made in Thessaloniki” convention, “Monotype” workshop, organised by Municipality of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece, (Instructor).
- 2008: Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
- 2008: Member of the Architectural Association of Thessaloniki