Ike works collaboratively with the course teams, Deans of Faculty and Managers to provide academic and managerial leadership, and to design and co-ordinate course delivery for the third year BA (Hons) Fashion course and as Subject Leader for the MA Fashion and Textile Design courses.
He is currently External Examiner for the Fashion Menswear and Knitwear Courses at Central Saint Martins and MA Fashion at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts.
Ike is a design academic with experience of developing international fashion brands and instigating influential curricula at the top universities of art and design internationally.
He is renowned for teaching innovative and professional fashion design thinkers including James Long, Katie Eary, Aitor Throup, Mason Jung, Astrid Andersen, Matthew Miller, Hiroaki Kanai, Alex Mullins, Liam Hodges and Feng Chen Wang.
He has been awarded three fellowships to undertake research that contributes to the documentation, dissemination and archiving of the design process as it exists in the distinctive workshop method of art and design education. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and the Royal College of Art.
- 2015 to 2017. University of Westminster. London. Course Director | MA Menswear. Designed, wrote and successfully validated the new MA Menswear Course with six commendations
- 1998 to 2015. Royal College of Art. London. Senior Menswear Tutor. Rejuvenated the Menswear Programme into a course recognised for producing the most innovative and professional fashion design thinkers
- 1999 to 2007. Anne Tyrrell Design. London. Design Consultant. Designed and developed the ‘Icons of British Excellence’ launch collection aimed at establishing Gloverall as a leading fashion brand internationally.
- 1996 to 1998. Academy of Art University. San Francisco. Assistant Director. Fashion Department. Established, managed and developed new curriculum for BFA and MFA Fashion Design Programs
- 1995 to 1996. Calvin Klein. New York. Senior Designer. cK Calvin Klein Jeans and cK Khakis. Designed and developed collections from concept to production.
- 1992 to 1994. Claude Montana. Paris. Freelance Designer. Men’s Prêt à Porter. Consultant designer for theme and mood development, including design, fabric, print, colour and graphic design.
- 1985 to 1991 Gian Marco Venturi. Milan. Design Assistant. Designed the Men’s, ‘Always’ and GMV Jeans Collections, including development of exclusive fabrics and prints, garment fittings, production and presentation in Milan and Florence.
Conferences, Seminars and Presentations:
- January 2017. Public Lecture. Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Creativity and Commerciality.
- May 2013. Design Masters Lecture Series. Designskolen Kolding. What is Creativity in Fashion?
- March 2013. Seminar Presentation. Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Design School. Fashion, Talent and Education.
- November 2010. Speaker. Heart Museum, Herning. Art – Innovation – Design Processes.
- April 2010. Research Presentation. Virginia Commonwealth University. Doha. Halcyon Daze: Uncovering the Language of Designing. Presentation and discussion of CETLD fellowship film.
- February 2010. Research Presentation. British Higher School of Design. Moscow Halcyon Daze: Uncovering the Language of Designing. Presentation and discussion of CETLD fellowship film
- January 2010. Research Presentation. CETLD. University of the Arts Brighton Halcyon Daze: Uncovering the Language of Designing. Presentation and discussion of CETLD fellowship film.
- December 2009. Research Presentation. Royal College of Art. London. Halcyon Daze: Uncovering the Language of Designing. Inaugural Screening and discussion of CETLD fellowship film.
- November 2009. Masterclass. Designskolen Kolding. Denmark Halcyon Daze: Uncovering the Language of Designing. Presentation and discussion of CETLD fellowship film.
- August 2007. Research Presentation at TEKO. Herning. Denmark Presentation of RCA Teaching Fellowship Paper: What is an Effective Balance Between Industry and Academia?
- April 2007. Research Seminar at Designskolen Kolding. Denmark Potentials for Fashion Research. Education. Strategies. Industry. Key speaker. Presentation of RCA fellowship project: Exploring the Relationship Between Industry and Academia.
- April 2006. 3rd CLTAD International Conference, Lisbon Enhancing Curricula: Towards the Scholarship of Teaching in Art, Design and Communication: Seminar presentation of RCA fellowship project: Exploring the Relationship Between Academia and Industry.
- April 2004. 2nd CLTAD International Conference, Barcelona Enhancing Curricula: Towards the Scholarship of Teaching in Art, Design and Communication: Seminar Presentation of research project: Rethinking & Reshaping a Postgraduate Menswear Design Course.
Membership of committees/boards
- 2002 to present The Higher Education Academy. Fellow
- 2004 to present Royal College of Art. Fellow
- 1998 to 2014 Royal College of Art. Fashion Show Committee
- 2004 to 2010 Royal College of Art. Teaching and Learning Committee
- 2016 to 2017 University of Westminster. Teaching Committee
- 2017 to present NUA. Research Committee
- 2017 to present NUA. Graduate Fashion Week Committee