As a lecturer in photography, Gretchen’s teaching encourages students to learn through practical experience and real world scenarios. Gretchen supports students through both the technical application of photography; its industry context and applications, and encourages students to develop their own practice and personality in their work. Her photography has been shown in art spaces, and Gretchen has contributed to public discussion, delivered workshops and artist talks.
I have worked commercially as an image-maker in advertising since 2004. Travel has been central to my work flow, working from bases in Auckland, NZ; Sydney, Australia; New York, USA. I relocated to London in 2009 whereupon I formed the photographic collaborative Alan & Gretchen (2009–2015).
My practice has included working on advertising campaigns and commissions for Saatchi & Saatchi: London; Deutsch: Los Angeles; Johannes Leonardo: New York; DDB: Sydney and Leo Burnets: Turin. Creating advertising images for clients including BMW, Renault, Toyota, Volkswagen, Lexus, Australia Tourism and Nokia.
My work as an image-maker and artist considers how personal experience shapes our world, with particular interest paid to the role of technical and eco-systems in both connecting and alienating individuals.
Among other pursuits, I co-founded and co-directed the artist-led spaces g&A studios in Sydney (2005–2006) and Canary Gallery in Auckland, New Zealand (2004–2005). Working with MAGNUM PHOTOS London and Thomas Hoepker, then President of MAGNUM PHOTOS to create the inaugural exhibition for g&A studios, Sydney.
- 2017: Residency, Kunstort ELEVEN Artspace, Starzach, DE
- 2017: Artist Talk, Dichter, denken und Dinkel, Kunstort ELEVEN, Starzach, DE
- 2017: Exhibition, On AiR, Temporar zu Hause, Glashalle City Hall, Tübingen, DE, group
- 2015: Exhibition, Hidden in Plain Sight, The Gallery at NUA, Norwich University of the Arts, Norwich, UK, group
- 2014: Residency, LoBe, Berlin, DE
- 2014: Exhibition, Projekt, Blair Zaye & STS project space, London, UK, group
- 2014: Exhibition, The Tomorrow People, Elevator Gallery, London, UK, group
- 2014: Exhibition, futures past, LoBe, Berlin, DE, group
- 2013: Exhibition, *Student & Recent Graduate Show, Catalyst Arts, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK, group
- 2013: Artist Talk, Kunsthochschule Weißensee, Berlin, DE
- 2013: Residency, Kunsthochschule Weißensee Exchange Programme in association with LoBe, Berlin, DE
- 2013: Exhibition, Pan Macmillan Art Space Award, Pan Macmillan Art Space, London, UK, group
- 2013: Residency, The Goldsmiths Fifteen, Joya: arte + ecología, Cortijada Los Gázquez, ES
- 2013: Exhibition, Long white CLOUD Gallery (rear gallery), London, UK
- 2012: Exhibition, Disappearing Act, Long white CLOUD Gallery (rear gallery), London, UK
- 2011: Exhibition, Photomonth East London: International Photography Festival. Blink, Long white CLOUD Gallery, London, UK, group
- 2011: Exhibition, INTO THE WILD, Long white CLOUD Gallery, London, UK, group
- 2011: Auction, Charity Arts Sale, Abbot Mead Vickers BBDO, London, UK
- 2010-11: Exhibition/Publication, The Royal Photographic Society, 153rd International Print Exhibition, Banbury Museum, Oxon; Aberystwyth Arts, Aberystwyth, Wales and Allen & Overy LLP, London; Birmingham Institute of Art & Design, Birmingham; Bonhoga Gallery, Shetland Isles, UK