I bring a broad range of industry and drawing research experiences that are informed by creative relationships with a wide range of creative people, whose processes work in harmony with illustration, including; musicians; performance artists; animators and graphic designers. I enjoy the challenges that new media presents to illustrators.
The approaches explored during my MA utilised the internet and opened many possibilities for how illustration can be applied and interacted with. This work influenced the trajectory of my professional career for a number of years working on illustrated / interactive websites. The collaboration with varied creative partners taught me how illustrators can function as in integral player in the entire realisation and process of an idea, and shouldn’t be solely dependant on given ideas, content and sources of information.
My current research ideas aim to use oral history and documentation of living history to create drawings and recordings of real life events. My aspiration in the future is to explore how I may apply gathered oral histories and reportage drawings in an imaginative and authentic way to a digital oral history archive project, that would be used in museums and public spaces. Glyn’s work is available to view on his website.
Commercial illustration practice
- January 2001 – July 2011: Freelance commercial illustrator represented by New Division illustration Agency: Clients included Cimex Ltd for the BBC; New English Design; Vodaphone; Warburtons; Orchard Publishing; Templar Publishing; IPC Media; Healthy Living Magazine; Talent Circus for The Research Lab; The Surdhwani Music Foundation; Rechord; Koded; Glue London
- October 2005 – July 2006: Images 29, Association of Illustrators ‘Best of British contemporary illustration’ 2005, exhibitor. The Mall Galleries, London and touring exhibition
Drawing research practice
- February 2012: Exhibitor ‘The Magic Theatre’ exhibition of drawing
- October 2009: Drawing Journeys, exhibition of drawings at The Norwich Arts Centre
- October 2008: Drawing Breath – Fundicoa Lugar De Resende, Porto, Portugal
- March 2008: Drawing Journeys: The Workhouse Museum Southwell, Nottingham. Exhibited and curated an exhibition of drawings in association with The Artspace Southwell, The National Trust, Coventry University. Works explored the duality between photography and drawing as recording methods, and documented the changing rural and industrial landscape of Wales and parts of Northern England
- December 2007: RE:Cognition. Herbert Gallery, Coventry
- February 2007: Zoom Quartet vs Wacom 2, Live digital drawing at the Flatpack Festival in Birmingham
- October 2007- July 2008: Jerwood Drawing Prize, shortlisted exhibitor
- July – December 2006: The legs that Made us: Walking The Pennine Way. Dance City – The National Centre for Contemporary Dance, Newcastle–Upon-Tyne. Exhibition of drawings that documented events and environments that took place during a two-week expedition across the Pennine Way. Funded by the Arts Council of England and Dance City
- March 2012: Publisher of ‘A Curious Meander’ by Sorrel Muggridge. ISBN – 978-0-9559149-1-1
- May 2008: Ghosts in the wilderness – Drawings by Glyn Brewerton – Designed and published by Glyn Brewerton. Text by Dr Richard Davey.
- ISBN – 978-0-9559149-0-4
- September 2007: Jerwood Drawing Prize – Published by Wimbledon School of Art, London, UK. ISBN – 978 -0-9556646-0-1
- December 2006: The legs that made us: Walking the Pennine Way – published by the Arts Council of England, Newcastle – Upon – Tyne UK. ISBN – 095490731-0
- March 2006 & April 2008: The Big Book of Illustration Ideas 1 & 2, Edited by Roger Walton, published by Harper Collins Canada. ISBN – 13: 978-0061215148 & ISBN -13:978-0060852610 respectively
- October 2005: Images 29, Association of Illustrators “ Best of British contemporary illustration” 2005 published by Rotovision and The Association of illustrators, London, UK. ISBN – 0-9515448-7-X
- October 2005: Ten 4 Magazine, Channel 4 Ideas Factory “Anatomy of a Portfolio” – an article for students on portfolio presentation.
Other academic activities
- Academic Consultancy
- March 2013: Cleveland College of Art and Design in Hartlepool. External panel member for the validation of the BA(Hons) Illustration for Commercial Application course.
- July 2011: : University College Falmouth. External panel member for the validation of the BA(Hons) Drawing course.
- October 2007: : The University of Derby. External panel member for the validation of the BA(Hons) Visual Communication course
- Norwich University of the Arts – Senate membership
- The Association of Illustrators