Dr Caroline Fisher
Caroline is East GalleryNUA Curator and Subject Leader on MA Curation.
Dr Caroline Fisher joined NUA in 2016 as East GalleryNUA Curator and is subject specialist supporting students on the MA Curation course. She attended Central St Martin’s College of Art from 1996-9 and completed her MA at the University of East Anglia in Museum Studies in 2008. She subsequently worked at Norwich Castle Museum, the Wellcome Collection, the British Museum and as a freelance curator with a particular interest in site-specific practice and the relationship between art and medicine.
“I curate art, design, architecture and media exhibitions in both institutional and less conventional settings. My background in medicine gives me a sense of art in the context of science and culture in its broadest sense.
I seek to be a catalyst or facilitator for the engagement of audiences and enjoy giving opportunities to artists and designers who seek to bridge the gap between communities and contemporary creative practice. At East GalleryNUA I have the privilege of being able to programme exhibitions for a purpose built city centre gallery space that fulfils a number of functions for the University as well as drawing in a wide audience from the Eastern region and beyond.”
The Gallery works with creative practitioners of national and international standing and participates in partnership projects with other organisations around the country. East GalleryNUA was a significant venue for British Art Show 8 when it came to Norwich in 2016, as well as working with poets such as Simon Armitage and Jackie Kay in Fierce Light with 14-18 NOW and the Norfolk and Norwich Festival. East GalleryNUA was the first UK venue to show Prof William Latham’s Mutator VR which then toured to the Venice Biennale and the Hermitage in Russia.
Research and Practice
- 2016-Present: Curator, East GalleryNUA, Norwich University of the Arts
- 2018: Guest Curator, Cley 2018
- 2017: Curator, The Makers, Felbrigg Hall, Norfolk, May- October 2017
- 2014: Curator, This Bewitching Poison: Alcohol and the Royal College of Physicians
- 2014: Curator, The Tourists, Felbrigg Hall, Norfolk
- 2013: Curator, Altered, Lincolnshire
- 2012-13: Interpretation Officer, The British Museum, London
- 2010-12: Curator, Wellcome Collection, London
- 2008-10: Exhibitions assistant, Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery
- 2002-07: Curator, Bolwick Arts
- 2012 – Present: Trustee, Norfolk Contemporary Art Society
- Caroline is the guest curator for Cley 2018