Since 2019 Dave has taught students on all four Graphics courses at NUA specialising in design for user experience and motion graphics, and co-leads BSc User Experience Design in years 2 and 3. Dave previously taught animation, interaction design and experiential design on the MA Digital Media, MA Photography, and BA Media & Communications programmes at Goldsmiths, University of London. He has worked in digital media production and education roles since 2005.
My research and practice explore experiences of play, learning, narrative, and representation, through the lens of technology as a cultural form.
My commercial work has included directing motion design and animation, web design, graphic design and sound design for creative agencies and production companies including CTVC, ChannelFlip Media and Dinosaur.
Current projects include:
- Experimentation with LiDAR scanning and photogrammetry as durational media production tools.
- Research exploring educational practices involving digital technologies used by children in homeschool and traditional school settings.
- Fairies with Jetpacks, a research project exploring representations of female cyborg characters in animation for children.
- Motion Sketches, a series of abstract geometric and generative motion design explorations.
- Shiver, an animated short film based on North-European pagan creation mythology.
- 2018 Post-production, The Demon’s Head, animated short film for CTVC/Truetube. Nominated for a BAFTA Children’s Award and Learning On Screen’s Educational Film Award.
- 2017 Presentation, Learning with Lynda : Online Video Tutorial System Use in Academia, John Beacham Teaching Conference, Goldsmiths, University of London.
- 2016 Presentation, A Hail of Bullets : Moving Beyond Powerpoint and Towards Visual Storytelling, John Beacham Teaching Conference, Goldsmiths, University of London.
- 2011-2014 Director, Animator, Sound Designer for Channelflip Media. Productions included David Mitchell’s Soapbox and Harry Hill’s Little Internet Show.
- 2010 Director, New Light Stir, live-action short film.
- 2007 Director, 080, CGI-animated short film. International festival screenings, British Animation Awards touring programme.
Other academic activities
- PGCert in Management of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- NUA Human Interfaces Research Group
- NUA Extended Reality (XR) Group
- NUA Expanded Arts Learning Environment Group