Spanning a diverse range of media, for a number of years I have been interested in multiplicity, pattern and repetition. Exploring this in various ways, whether through painting or prints and serial sculptures I have exhibited work in both gallery and non-gallery contexts.
My current PhD research critically investigates the role of disruptive intervention using decoration in the context of the corporate and commercial environment. Domestic pattern and ornamentation is placed in unlikely relationships with office furniture, e.g. an Eames chair dressed in neon polyester and wet-look PVC or oversized velvet curtains embellished with pompoms and hung at the window of a modernist high-rise office block. Through photography, painting and collage I make 2-dimensional mock-ups of these subtle and not-so-subtle interventions. Some of these are made manifest using scale and materials that reference a relationship to the body whilst challenging the ergonomic function of objects and spaces.
Theoretical reference points include discourse around the everyday (particularly Henri Lefebvre) and class and consumption. Investigation and use of site-specific artworks further articulate the interrogative, negotiable status of fine art practices.
- 2014: ‘Let’s get comfortable’ installation at Aviva Head Office, St. Helens, London
- 2013: Open for Discussion, exhibition by PGR and PGT students, Norwich University of the Arts
- 2013: Presentation of paper at ‘Knowing (by) designing’ conference, Brussels
- 2013: Publication of paper ‘Developing visual proposals as a route to knowing within site-related artworks’ in Verbeke, J. (2013) ‘Knowing (by) designing’ Brussels: LUCA Sint-Lucas School of Architecture
- 2013: Exhibition of printed multiples, part of a print portfolio produced by NUA staff and students exhibited at Impact8 ‘The Artist as Explorer’ International Printmaking conference, Dundee University
- 2012: ‘Taught’ Staff exhibition, Norwich University of the Arts
- 2011: ‘Chairs Re-dressed’ Work made in response to Charles Eames chairs at the Sainsbury Centre of Visual Arts
- 2011: ‘Test Preenroll’ Staff exhibition Norwich University College of the Arts
- 2010: ‘Dividing Lines’ STEW gallery, Norwich
- 2010: ‘What we are’ STEW gallery, Norwich
- 2008: ‘Salivate’ Group video projection piece, Anglia Square shopping centre, Norwich
- 2007: Drawings published in Isaaman, MC. Drawing Workshop: Simple Steps to Success v2, Dorling Kindersley, England
- 2006: ‘Unsere Nachbarn: England’ Kunstlerhaus Metternich Gallery, Koblenz
- 2006: ‘20/20’ Beverley Knowles Gallery, London
- 2006: Selector for publication Kuzemzcak, P. ‘Abandoned Chairs’ England: Norwich Gallery
- 2006 ‘Trans’ £8k public art commission by Norwich City Council and New Writing Partnership to create site-specific art as part of the Waterways Art Trail, Norwich
- 2006: [contributor to] ‘TRUTH’, an editioned portfolio of work distributed, exhibited and held in the collections of Arizona State University; California State University; Museum of Contemporary Art, Poland; University of Art, Berlin; Asagaya College of Art, Tokyo and Osaka College of Art and Design, Japan
- 2005: [contributor to] context fourth edition, artist publication. Exhibited as part of ‘Publish and Be Damned’ at OUTPOST Gallery, Norwich
- 2004/5: OUTPOST Steering committee and founder member of OUTPOST, an artist-led space in central Norwich with significant Arts Council funding. Successfully exhibited and promoted the work of Andrew Marsh, Bill Drummond, Luke Gottelier, Emily Pethick and Andrew Hunt’s Slimvolume publication, amongst others.
- 2004: [contributor to] Bonaventura, P. & Farthing, S. (eds.) A curriculum for artists, University of Oxford and New York Academy of Art
- 2004: ‘Doing Time’ A site-specific installation at The Guildhall, Norwich
- 2004: ‘Teachers’ The Stroud House Gallery, Glos.
- 2004: ‘Locus’ Visions Gallery, Tokyo
- 2003: ‘Air and Light’ Salthouse, Norfolk
- 2003 ‘trans’ Yard Gallery, Nottingham. Solo exhibition
- 2003: Production Designer for ‘Hamlet’, Maddermarket Theatre, Norwich, including set and costume design
- 2003 [contributor to] Hollins, J. (ed.) Getting into Art and Design Courses, Trotman
- 2002: Norwich Fringe Festival. Member of Visual Arts Committee for the Norwich Fringe Festival, involved in curating and organising over 30 visual arts projects and performances during September 2002.
- 2002: ‘vanitas’ Queen of Hungary Yard, Norwich. Solo exhibition
- 2002: ‘INFEST’ John Innes Centre, Norwich
- 2001: AccessArt: a series of on-line photographic workshops integrating pedagogy with examples from then current photographic practice www.accessart.org.uk
- 2014 – 2015 member of Association of Art Historians
- 2002 – 2006: member of the National Association of Fine Art Education