My creative activity spans a number of fields and I have made work within widely differing contexts. I originally studied Graphic Design at Middlesex University (BA) and Illustration at Central St. Martins (PG), and more recently, Fine Art at UWIC, Cardiff (MA). I am represented for illustration work in the UK and USA by Heart Agency and have been commissioned by a many publishers, newspapers, companies and institutions including Penguin, Channel 4, The British Council, BBC, Adobe, Granta, EMI, Decca and the London Sinfonietta.
I am a regular contributor to the Guardian and the New York Times, and have recently completed a year-long project for the V&A, using items from their vast collection to promote events, activities and exhibitions.
I have won Gold, Silver and Bronze awards in the book publishing categories from the Association Of Illustrators, and in 2010 and 2012, the V&A Illustration Award. In 2011 I won the House of Illustration and Folio Society Award for a special edition of ‘The Outsider’ by Albert Camus.
My work, practice and research derive from exploring found imagery and objects and the way changes in context and association provoke questions of ‘believability’ and authenticity. My particular subject focus for illustration has grown from from an interest in narrative, vernacular, popular and folk art, and how images become shared, and culturally significant.
Outputs from research and practice
- 2013: Exhibition: ‘Stories on Paper’ Ashgate Gallery, Farnham
- 2012: Publication: Falmouth Illustration Forum, ‘The Authorial Illustrator’ Atlantic Press
- 2012: Award: V&A Illustration Award for ‘The Outsider’ by Albert Camus, published by Folio
- 2011 Publication: Printmaking Today, ‘First Folio’ Vol. 20 No.3, Autumn
- 2011: Exhibition: ‘Imagined Machines’ TestBed project space, Oriel Davies Gallery, Powys
- 2011: Commission: Albert Camus, ‘The Outsider’, Folio (Cover and interior illustrations)
- 2011: Commission: Meowmorphosis, written by Coleridge Cook, Quirk Books (interior illustrations)
- 2011: Award: House of Illustration / Folio Society winner for ‘The Outsider’ by Albert Camus
- 2011: Exhibition: Serco Illustration Awards, London Transport Museum, London
- 2011: Publication: ‘Making Great Illustration’ Derek Brazell and Jo Davies, A&C Black 2010 Speaker: ‘The Untamed Tiger’ Conference. University College Falmouth
- 2010: Award: V&A Illustration Award for ‘Phantom Space Storms’ published in New Scientist
- 2009: Exhibition: National Eisteddfod of Wales, Bala
- 2009: Exhibition: ‘The Illustrators Eye’, Lethaby Gallery, London
- 2008: Exhibition: ‘The Graphic Art of Comment’, The Guardian, London
- 2008: Exhibition: ‘Conduits, Schemes & Spheres’, George Rodger Gallery, UCA, Maidstone
- 2008: Exhibition: ‘If You Build It, They Will Come’, g39, Cardiff
- 2008: Exhibition: ‘The Rise and Progress of Superstition’, Brecknock Museum & Art Gallery, Powys
- 2007: Award: Association Of Illustrators (Silver) for ‘Sexing the Cherry’ by Jeanette Winterson
- 2007: Exhibition: ‘Ill-us-ra-shun’, Stockport Museum & Art Gallery, Stockport
- 2006: Award: Association Of Illustrators (Gold) for ‘In Evil Hour’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- 2006: Exhibition: ‘Surface’, Oriel Davies Gallery, Newtown, Powys
- 2005: Exhibition: ‘Begining, Middle & End’, g39, Cardiff
- 2005: Award: Association Of Illustrators (Bronze) for ‘Love in the Time of Cholera’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- 2004: Exhibition: ‘Perfectly Normal’, tactileBOSCH, Cardiff
- 2004: Exhibition: Ida Branson Bequest Exhibition, Atkinson Gallery, Somerset
- 2002: Exhibition: ‘Everyday Things That Don’t Exist’, Phoenix Arts, Brighton
- 2002: Exhibition: ‘Compute+’, Stroud House Gallery, Stroud, Gloucestershire